Thursday, January 20, 2011

Why I Create...

I've been thinking about his for a while now. What is it that makes me want to create? Whether it's a quilt, a dress, a beautiful room, a sugar cookie, a nicely wrapped gift, a photo.... I enjoy creating. I always thought of myself as a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, but I think that is not the case. I am a master creator!

Now don't get me wrong. I'm NOT saying that I am a master at sewing and sugarcookies and all that fun stuff. But I know that creating is something I will never stop loving. It's something I enjoy each day. And that's "master" enough for me.

I guess I have my mom and dad to thank. My dad used to write funny poems and stories. My mother as well. They are both VERY creative in their ways. I was continually reminded in subtle ways that I was capable of learing anything or trying anything I wanted.

So when I see a beautiful hair bow for $10, I think, "I can just make my own." Granted, I end up spending $40 and making 40 hairbows, but hey, you get the idea.

My mom would always say things like, "Anna, you are so creative. I love how you did...." or,"What a good idea!" And not all my ideas were good! Once I put a refrigerator box over my bed so it would be a tent. I had to slither out of the bottom of my bed in the mornings. NOT a good idea. BUT... if my daughter wanted to do that, you bet I'd let her!

So, thank you mom and dad, for putting up with my messes... I mean, my creativity! I hope I can allow my kids the same freedom to explore!!

So, why do you create? Who is your muse?

2 comments:

Dana said...

I find myeslf really relating to this. It seems I alsways have to be busy creating something. Not always the most productive use of my time, but I love it. Elder Uchtdorf gave a really great talk about creating in 2008. I have always enjoyed reading it. http://lds.org/general-conference/2008/10/happiness-your-heritage?lang=eng

Anna said...

I remember that talk. It totally rang true to me. Loved it!