Monday, August 2, 2010

Yards and Yards Original: Canvas Art

This was such a fun project. These canvases hang in my little girls' bedroom. The downside? I need to hang them using 2 tacks instead of one. I'm always straightening these babies. But... they look good at an angle too, so it's all good.

My sis-in-law (Happy Birthday yesterday,Dana) bought the canvases and had us all sit and craft together. That's something about my husband's family... when we get together (I believe this was Thanksgiving), they don't just catch-up and visit. They have to be doing.
I don't mind. I call them a "memory making" family.

Anyhow... way off topic...

So, these canvases are 12x12. You can find them at Michael's or Hobby Lobby or online. They come plain white.
STEP 1. I measured and cut my fabric. A lot of people cover these with paper, but I found that fabric wraps a lot easier and I have a fabric obsession. So I used it instead. Make sure you leave room to wrap the canvas.

Step 2: Decoupage!! Glue that fabric on. Or, you could use a staple gun and staple it on. The choice is all yours. Let it dry, if you went the glue-route.

Step 3: Embellish. It really amazes me how similar fabric crafting and scrapbooking are. I used my scrapbooking supplies to embellish the canvases. The words "Believe in yourself" are vinyl. You can order this online with a simple search. I was lucky that Dana had a machine and did this for a while. I miss Dana's vinyl machinge (probably a lot more than Dana.)

Good embellishments:

Ribbon
Flowers
Frames
Metal Words
Paper

Keep it simple and enjoy playing around with it until you like it.


Step 4: Stick everything on. Hot glue or glue dots or whatever you like best!

Step 5: Hang and enjoy! Remember, use 2 pins or nails to keep these hanging straight. Trust me. Don't make the me mistake I did. It's a really beautiful way to use up your fabric leftover from quilts in a room. Plus, it will match your quilt perfectly. *wink*

Enjoy!

PS. Linking up to these fabulous parties...

The Girl CreativeThe DIY Show OffKeeping It SimpleMakingmmm buttonSumo Sweet Stuff

PhotobucketAll Thingz Related The Trendy TreehouseNightOwlCrafting

 http://www.thethriftyhome.comGet your craft on Thurs.giveawaysSimply DesigningFavorite%2BThings%2BFridaybig%2Bbutton.jpg

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

16 comments:

Kara said...

So cute, I love it!! Thanks for sharing!

Jami said...

Those are so stinkin' cute! You must have some fun ideas for wrapping gifts, too! I hope you'll stop by my PRETTY PACKAGES PARTY and share some of your talent! Be sure to grab a button for a reminder!
http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2010/08/first-ever-pretty-packages-party.html
smiles!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

They look fabulous!

Ashley Tremaine said...

Adorable!!!

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

Super cute!!! I love all the colors!

Denise @ I Am Cre8ting said...

Adorable! I love the paisley one!

Unknown said...

Cute! Fun Project!

Reunion Committee said...

These are simply gorgeous! I love them. My daughter will go crazy over these!
Great job!
~Tana

Miri said...

Really cute and very clever!

Barbara Jean said...

all so bright and cheery!! fun fun.

blessings

barbara jean

~jan said...

Very cute! I heart fabric as well - I would totally choose it over paper.

~jan @thepaisleycupcake.blogspot.com

I found you through Lit and Laundry!

Catherine said...

These are very pretty! Love this idea!

Unknown said...

These are adorable! I love how they turned out and I really like the colors you used!

Thanks for linking up at www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

Kristen said...

these are so pretty, and that's such a great idea! I think i might have to make one or two of these now, thanks for the inspiration!
kristen
http://osewcrafty.wordpress.com/

Jen said...

So cute! I love your fabric choices!

Leslie said...

Those are absolutely darling! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!