Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Designer Spotlight: Josephine Kimberling


Another reason I love this industry.... the people! Seriously, some of the most talented, yet down to earth people I have ever known are in the fabric industry. Maybe it's because we are all artists at heart and it's fun to see others who share that love.

So with that, I am happy to introduce you to Josephine Kimberling. I love her new line Glam Garden, and requested press information about it. Josephine was kind enough to email me back herself and send the info I needed. What's not to love about that?!

Josephine Kimberling

I love her statement from her website:

"Art and creativity have been a consistent thread throughout my life – from daydreaming about make-believe adventures as a child, to writing poetry, and experimenting with new creative mediums. I’ve always needed to express myself creatively – to get my voice out through my hands. I distinctly remember being five years old and talking about what I was going to be “when I grew up” and deep inside knowing being an artist was the calling of my heart.

I started shopping vintage at an early age. I was drawn to the offbeat stylings from the ‘60s-‘70s – the unique colors mixed with such magnificent patterns. Everything I came home with had a pattern on it, or came in some bright color! (And at like $2-$4 a piece, how could a girl resist?) I was definitely drawn to the one of a kind and enjoyed expressing myself creatively through fashion.

Growing up in the sunshine of laid back California, I moved to the urban northwest in the late 1990s to attend the Art Institute of Seattle, where I graduated with a degree in Graphic Design & Illustration. This eventually led me to a job as a textile designer for Nordstrom shortly thereafter. It was here that my artistic passions for fashion and pattern came together and flourished.

Creating surface pattern is my true passion. I enjoy mixing patterns together for unique combinations that fit a certain mood or personal style. I enjoy the detail involved in creating an intricate paisley, and how different color combinations can truly transform a look. I seek to create patterns that utilize current trends but with my own distinctive touch. I love peering over the horizon, fixing my mind on the next thing. I love discovering or creating a new color story or pattern direction. It’s what keeps my mind fresh, keeps my heart beating a mile a minute, and propels me forward.

I’m drawn to my own perspective of beauty – a beautiful flower, sunset or frozen tree in nature, a genuine smile or heartfelt talk with a good friend, to things more forward like viewing runway shots from fashion week or being inspired by the color stories and amount of turbulent creativity that exists in that world.

I combine my love of modern style and eclectic prettiness into my signature style creation of prints. Having worked in the fashion industry for over 10 years, I have created hundreds of patterns for Nordstrom’s BP clothing line as well as designed my own prints for sale worldwide through a well-known art representative in London. Along with my work in the fashion industry, I have designed stationery and gift-wrap products for one of the most well-known card manufacturers in the world – Hallmark.

I currently live in beautiful Seattle, Washington with my husband Jake – who is not only wonderful but also my best friend and so supportive of me and my creative ambitions."

And now for some Glam Garden eye candy!!





I can't wait to get my hands on this wonderful fabric! I can just see aprons or skirts or hair bows or maybe even some fancy covered boxes like I made HERE! On Josephine's website she has a list of websites that carry this fabric. You can find her list right HERE.

Best of luck to Josephine. I can't wait to see where this designer goes next!!



No comments: